Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ghost Rider

Eeeeee! So, I'm in week 3 of the Couch to 5k plan! Super exciting that I've kept my attention on something for almost a month! Sometime last week, I bent to pick something up and felt a *pop* in my right achilles tendon. It didn't hurt so much as feel incredible unnatural and scary!
Since then I've run three times, and each time my achilles tendon is sore afterward. I know it's not as bad as it could be, but I'd rather not be on crutches with a ruptured tendon (ow!). Sooo, thinking that I'd be ahead of the game, I researched a bit and found insoles that provide more support to the heel. I wore them for the first time today and yay! No soreness! However, the front of my left shin was in pain! The increased cushioning in the heel led to rolling my ankles inward, thus- shin splints! So, I'm going out tomorrow to find insoles with a heel cup and arch support, which should solve all of these problems. However, since I don't want to injure myself, and since I'm only on week 3, I've decided to start over at week 1, but to do 4 runs instead of 3. That way I'll be able to continue the program, but to also ease back up to the amount of running I'm doing now. I also drove out from my apartment this morning and checked visual markers for 0.5mi points. This way, I'll be able to time myself more easily and hopefully work on some speed training as well. Which leads me to my next point! I've decided to participate in the Kelly LaBare 5k Run at the Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally on August 8th. I've been looking at the race times for 2008 and people are fast!! There are a handful of 9 year olds, and an 87 year old! I've come to the conclusion that if I finish in less than 28min I would be happy. I say this because there's a girl that was on my high school track team on there finishing at 26:49, and I will not be beating her this year. This I know for sure. But hey! It's my first 5k! I just want to finish and not be last.

My newly adjusted plan puts me at finishing the Couch to 5k program on June 13th, which still leaves me with 8 weeks(yay! totally more than I thought! woohoo math!) to train more and to work exclusively on speed. Super exciting! Also, should I get to June 13th, I will be getting these:

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment